Friday, February 3, 2012

Caramelized Brussels Sprouts

I used to think I didn't like Brussels Sprouts. I'm really not a big fan of steamed vegetables. Some people hear that and think I'm nuts. And maybe I am. But I can't help it. I just can't love it. And since that was the only way I had ever been introduced to Brussels sprouts, I didn't think I liked them. However, this recipe is just another example to me of how vegetables can become so tasty if you just prepare them a different way. {I first learned that with asparagus.} We got some Brussels sprouts in our bountiful basket a couple weeks ago and since we really do want to try everything I decided to look up other ways to eat it besides steaming it. And holy moly am I glad I did! I liked these so much, I made them two nights in a row {for those of you who know how much I hate having the same thing two days in a row, you know this is a big deal}. My mouth is watering as I look at all these pictures. I think I need to go make some more.

First, it's a nice, bright green.
Then we'll add some sugar for sweetness.
It begins to add some more golden color.
Caramelized Brussels Sprouts
Recipe from Eat, Live, Run!
serves 2-4 as a side-dish

Time: 20 minutes

12-14 large brussels sprouts
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
Shake of kosher salt
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup almond slivers, toasted

Directions:
Slice each Brussels sprout very thin until you have a mound of Brussels sprout ribbons. I also made sure to chop up the center part of the sprout really well. It doesn't create "ribbons" like all the leaves of the sprouts and I didn't want huge chunks. So just chop it up, too. Heat the olive oil over medium high in a large skillet and saute the garlic for 30 seconds. Add the Brussels sprouts and continue sauteing for another 4-5 minutes, until bright green and tender. Add the sea salt and brown sugar and toss together. Finish by adding the toasted nuts.

Don't forget the delicious nuts.
Eat up! So yummy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails