Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Homemade Twix Bars

I am not a chocolate lover. Anyone who knows me knows this is true. But lately, I just can't seem to get enough Twix candy bars. Awful. Horrible. Weird. I know. So I decided to try my hand at these homemade Twix bars. Naturally they are different from what you'll buy in the store - I'd dare say they are better! Super yummy and really pretty easy to make.

Homemade Twix Bars

Crust:
1 ¼ c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter; room temp


Caramel:
½ c. butter
½ c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. corn syrup
½ c. sweetened condensed milk


Crumble crust ingredients together {if your butter is still slightly cold instead of at room temperature, you'll find it easier to get everything crumbled together}. Be sure it's mixed very well. You don't want any large pockets of  butter making things difficult. Pack into 9x9 inch pan that has been sprayed, lined with foil and sprayed again {I didn't spray my foil and didn't have any problems}. Bake on 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Note: I used an 8x8 inch pan and everything was a little bit thick. If you don't think you'll like thick crust or caramel, just reserve some of the crust or filling from the pan or try to cut down the ingredients.

Put the butter for the caramel filling in a heavy saucepan and melt. Combine remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly as it burns easily {I'm no culinary expert but my caramel was cooked too long. I would suggest timing the boiling as soon as you see little bubbles form - this way, it should still be slightly soft but cooked enough to remain firm. I timed it from when it was really boiling and my caramel was too hard}. Remove from heat. Stir with spoon slowly until it shows signs of thickening {about two minutes or so}. Pour over crust and let cool a little.


Top layer:


Melt approximately 1-2 c. chocolate chips with 1 tsp shortening over low heat or in the microwave {because my pan was 8x8 I used 1 cup of chocolate and thought it was plenty}. Pour over caramel layer and spread carefully. Chill. Cut into bars.

6 comments:

Sally said...

Yum! We love twix! I will definitely be trying these out! Thanks!!

Kimberly said...

I am so excited to try these this weekend. I love Twix.

camie said...

I'm glad I saw you had made a comment at home based mom so I could take a look at your recipes. This one definitely caught my eye.

Jessica :) said...

Sally & Kimberly: I hope you enjoyed them!
Camie: Thanks for stopping by! I hope you find some recipes you'll enjoy!

Emily Orison said...

Delicious recipe! I wanted to make a lot so I tripled the recipe and the whole thing fit nicely in a large baking sheet. (17x11x1)
I sprayed the pan with cooking spray and found the aluminum foil unnecessary for that size of pan and it came out just fine. I used semi sweet chips and it was good, but next time I would use milk chocolate chips so it would be more like a twix bar.

Anonymous said...

How long did the Orison Family bake these or do you have a suggestion.

Caroline

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails