Friday, December 16, 2011

Holiday Sugar Rush: Lemon Bars

I've mentioned before that I've been looking for the perfect lemon bar. I was having a hard time finding it. So I finally just started combining and tweaking recipes until I came up with what made me happy. These bars make me happy. I like them slightly chilled, though not completely cold.



Delicious Lemon Bars

Crust:
1 cup butter, cold and cut into small squares
1 3/4 cup flour
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350.
Grease and flour a 9x13 pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Add the butter and cut into the other dry ingredients until well combined and crumbly in appearance. Press mixture firmly and evenly into the bottom of the pan and up the sides slightly.
Bake for 17-20 minutes or until slightly golden.

Topping:
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 Tbsp flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 tsp lemon zest
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice {you can use the stuff that comes in a bottle but fresh is better}


Whisk together all dry ingredients and lemon zest. Add the eggs and lemon juice and mix well.
Pour on top of the warm crust and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the topping has set and browned. Cool.
Once cooled, sprinkle the top with additional powdered sugar.
Store tightly closed in the refrigerator.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails