Friday, June 19, 2009

Curried Black Beans and Rice

This recipe is so so yummy. I just loved it. And it is very filling. The recipe does make a lot of food, so for just the two of us, I would cut it in half. I made it for Dan and I without cutting it down and we had leftovers for about 3 more meals afterwards. I also made it for my family {there were 11 of us there if I remember correctly} and every one of them loved it as well. My grandmother is from Sweden and she has an amazing palette – not picky, she just makes amazing food – so I was really excited when she said she liked it {she loves curry, so I had that running in my favor}. And my two teenage brothers are in this “everything mom makes is yucky” phase, and she tells me that they won’t eat rice. Both of them went back for seconds on this {I did double it for my family when I made it for them}. I’m telling you, it is amazing!

Curried Black Beans and Rice
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
Serves: 4-6 people

Ingredients:
1 T. Oil
1 sm. onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. Curry powder {more or less depending on your preference – I’ve only ever used 1 Tbsp. but that is plenty of flavor for me}
1 lb ground sausage (you can easily substitute beef, chicken, or turkey – I’ve used ground turkey and beef and it’s always turned out great)
3/4 cup chicken broth (or 2-3 boullion cubes crushed in hot water)
2 (16 oz.) cans black beans drained
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups uncooked Rice

Directions:
Rinse your rice and cook as directed in your rice cooker or pot, however you prefer. While your rice is cooking, saute onion in oil with the curry powder. Add sausage. Cook about 5 minutes. Add broth and beans. Cook 4-5 minutes longer. Serve over rice and enjoy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails