Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Huevos Rancheros

Now, please bear with me. There is a lot I need to explain about this recipe. First of all, I didn’t use the chili in adobo sauce. I’m not a spicy foods kind of person – EVER – and so I always opt for milder versions of everything I cook. Also, I used turkey bacon and egg substitute {trying to cut cholesterol}. My honest opinion: it would taste better with the real thing, especially the eggs. One thing I’ve learned about egg substitute is that it’s great for baking but not so good by itself {Dan would beg to differ but it’s just too different for me}. Also, the food in my pictures might look a little weird {okay, you can say gross if you want} but I promise it really isn’t as bad as it looks. I like things to be mixed together so I don’t have to worry about layering {especially with a small tostada shell}. Here’s my suggestion if that’s what you want to do as well: cook the beans and the eggs in separate pans. Yes, it means more dishes have to be washed, but I promise you will thank me. If you don’t, you end up with black icky looking eggs and a very unique flavor that I don’t recommend. Just trust me. Thank you.

Huevos rancheros

Ingredients:
4 tostada shells (or corn tortillas baked at about 400-degrees until hardened)
1 can black beans
1 chili in adobo sauce, crushed (makes the beans spicier--if you want it mild leave this out)
bacon, cooked
cheddar cheese, shredded
tomatoes, diced
4 eggs, cooked sunny side up (I like it to be runny so you can dip the shell into it)
salsa
optional: green chilies, olives, avocado, sauteed onions and peppers

Directions:
Cook the black beans and chili in adobo sauce (optional) together in a small pot. Use a slotted spoon to scoop out and drain the beans. Layer the beans, bacon, cheese, tomato, eggs and salsa on the tostada shell and serve! You can also add the cheese on at the end at bake in the oven until the cheese is nice and melted. Add green chilies, olives, avocado, and/or onions and peppers to taste.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails