Monday, May 23, 2011

Strawberry Sauce

Have you ever heard of Our Best Bites? They are just about the coolest cooking blog on the planet. I aspire to be as cool {and talented} as them someday. I got this wonderful gem of a recipe from their site and it is so wonderful. I use it every time I have leftover strawberries that need to be used. It's is always perfect to use when the strawberries get a little soft and are no longer fun for just eating {or am I the only one who gets that way?}. I have made this several times and every time I am always glad I did. We love it as a syrup on pancakes or french toast, it would be so delicious on ice cream as a topping, and if you come back on Wednesday, I'm going to share my recent favorite thing to do with this sauce.



Strawberry Sauce
Recipe from Our Best Bites

Ingredients
1 pint {or two cups} strawberries
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp almond extract {which is amazing!} or vanilla extract

Directions:
Wash and remove the stems on the strawberries. I usually cut them in half at this point but according to the girls at Our Best Bites, this is an unnecessary step.
Combine the berries, sugar and desired extract flavor in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat {as in, don't try to boil it but keep it hot}. Cook for five minutes, stirring and breaking up the strawberries constantly.
After five minutes, remove from heat and allow to cool. When the mixture is cool enough for your blender, add the mixture to your blender and pulse until it reaches the desired consistency. Or don't blend it up and have a syrupy strawberry mixture. Whatever floats your fancy.

This is my new favorite sauce to put on strawberry shortcake. Yummy!
I love leaving it with lots of chunks when I'm going to put it on pancakes or something. So tasty! But I like it smoother if I put it on something like strawberry shortcake or for the "recipe" I'm going to share Wednesday! And don't forget to check back tomorrow for the first recipe from Tierra!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails