Thursday, June 30, 2011

Quick and Perfect Biscuits

If you know me by now, you know that I like easy. I don't see any reason why a delicious meal should have to take hours and hours in the kitchen. Particularly because it gets gobbled up quicker than you can say "jack rabbit" and then all those hours in the kitchen are sitting comfortably in the bellies of the people who just ate your food. And especially for breakfast, am I right? Of course, I don't love getting up early enough to fix anything besides a bowl of cold cereal, but I certainly don't want to have to get up super early to fix something really delicious. So I have something kind of quick for you. These biscuits are so super yummy. Plus they freeze well. So you could freeze up a whole bunch and have yummy, homemade biscuits for several meals. Ooh, I just don't know how you could beat that!

Today's recipe is a little bit two-fold. I'm posting this biscuit recipe and then I'll post another biscuit recipe later. You lucky ducks, you! I'm posting both because I know I'll forget if I don't just do it right now and then this way, you can choose which one you want to make to go with the delicious gravy I'm going to post tomorrow! I know. I just made your week. You're welcome. ;)

This recipe could be considered the least healthy of the two recipes I'm going to share. However, I think this one is a tad quicker, so it kind of depends on how much time you have and what ingredients you have on hand.


Quick and Perfect Biscuits

3 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg, beaten
1 1/4 cups milk (powdered milk works really well in this recipe)


Directions:
Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Cut in shortening.
Add egg and milk until dough forms a ball.
Knead on lightly floured surface 10-12 times only. If you knead it too much, you'll get tough biscuits and no one likes tough biscuits.
Roll to 3/4 inch thick and cut with something round. I have used a drinking glass with a floured edge and it works just fine. You could also use other shapes if you so desired, it's just that a traditional biscuit is round.

You can see that I used a flute glass because it was perfectly round and just the right size. It works good for it's purpose!
 Bake on lightly greased baking sheet for 12-15 minutes at 475 degrees or until lightly brown. Mmm, delish!

This is about what your biscuits will look like before you bake them. They puff up so nicely, you'll practically forget they were puney little things before the heat touched them!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails