Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tuesday With Tierra! (Fish Tacos)

Hello All!! Isnt it a beautiful Tuesday?! Finally! Well I just realized I am in Utah so maybe it isnt nice in Idaho.
Anywho, now I used to think fish tacos sounded horrible... who would combine fish and mexican food?! Well i finally decided to try one at Rubios and wow! I fell in love and became an addict on where to find the best fish tacos! Then I thought... well why dont I learn to make my own?! What a brilliant idea! The tricky part was finding a recipe that had the White Sauce that I have noticed on most the Fish Taco's I have eaten... cause most people just use tarter sauce, and I did not want tarter sauce.
Finally, I found an amazing recipe on Allrecipes.com So when I find a recipe on the internet I also read a lot of the reviews to get what other people suggest when making it.
So i will begin by giving you the original recipe and then tell you what I did.

Original Fish Taco Recipe by Allrecipes.com
prep time: 40 min cook time: 20 min ready to eat: 1 hour

You will need:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup beer (the alcohol will cook out, I did find some places that said you can use club soda instead, but that the yeast in the beer is what the key thing is)

  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, minced (i did not use this)
  • 1 teaspoon minced capers (i did not use this)
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed (i used 1/2tsp of parsley instead, dill weed is expensive)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

  • 1 quart oil for frying
  • 1 pound cod fillets, cut into 2 to 3 ounce portions (i used tilapia instead, its cheaper and was fantastic)
  • 1 (12 ounce) package corn tortillas (i used white corn tortillas cause i like them better)
  • 1/2 medium head cabbage, finely shredded
Directions: (in the picture: this was our line up of things, fish cut up, dipped in flour, dipper in beer batter, into deep fryer, and out onto plate lol)

Directions

  1. To make beer batter: In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Blend egg and beer, then quickly stir into the flour mixture (don't worry about a few lumps).
  2. To make white sauce: In a medium bowl, mix together yogurt and mayonnaise. Gradually stir in fresh lime juice until consistency is slightly runny. Season with jalapeno, capers, oregano, cumin, dill, and cayenne.(or season with just the things i did and make this earlier in the day and refrigerate, helps the seasonings to blend together)
  3. Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  1. Dust fish pieces lightly with flour. Dip into beer batter, and fry until crisp and golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Lightly fry tortillas; not too crisp. To serve, place fried fish in a tortilla, and top with shredded cabbage, and white sauce.
  2. I also got some fresh salsa and sliced up limes for the fish tacos.
  3. I served these with some rice.




As you can see in the picture the fish was huge for the tortillas, so my second taco i sliced the fish in half, long ways, and it was perfect! Along with the cabbage, white sauce, salsa and lime juice squeezed on there... this was a little piece of heaven!!

Will definitely make these again!! You can even just make the Beer Battered Fish and make homemade fries with it and some tarter sauce. Voila! Fish and Chips! lol My husband liked the batter so much he thinks i should try it on chicken lol We will see!

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails