Monday, June 20, 2011

Sweet Poppy Seed Dressing

This is the other "element" I added to make our green salads . . . . . . . . . . desirable. I just have to tell you, this dressing is fab. If I do say so myself. I'm a salad lover anyway, but this dressing kept me eating green salad two meals a day for almost a week! It's just that good.

Now, there is actually a funny story to go along with this dressing. This story is my example of how anyone can have kitchen disasters relating to just about anything. This dressing was my kitchen disaster. Silly, I know, but hear me out.

I knew exactly what I was making for dinner. This poppy seed dressing was supposed to go with dinner. It was also supposed to be amazing. I had received a poppy seed dressing recipe for a dear old lady I clean house for. She loves to cook and she is always sharing recipes with me. Actually, if she's made something new and she has leftovers, she'll always heat some up for me when I come cleaning. She's sweet like that. Anyway, she shared this recipe with me with one caveat: she hadn't made it herself. She got it from someone else who said it was just like the local University makes. "Hm, sounds worth trying," I thought to myself. I love the dressing from the school. So I finally pulled the recipe out and whipped it up. It looked a little funny but I just figured I must be remembering wrong. So I gave it a taste. It was honestly the worst dressing I had ever tasted in my life!! Oh dear. Of course, I couldn't blame the little old lady I clean house for. She hasn't even made it for crying out loud! But the ingredients should have been a serious clue to me that something would be wrong. Learn from my mistake - a 1/3 cup sugar will never over power half an onion. I promise. Dressing #1 = down the drain.

So then I looked up some recipes online. I wanted to know where I had gone wrong and hopefully find something that would be better than what I had just made. I figured that couldn't be too hard. I finally settled on a recipe I found and whipped it up. Taste test #2.  It was the second worst dressing I had ever tasted in my life!! Seriously, people. Is there not a good poppy seed dressing out there? Dressing #2 = down the drain.

By this time, my baby was getting impatient about waiting for her dinner. And who could blame her? It was about an hour past when she usually eats dinner. Prepping and whipping up those dressings {plus looking for another recipe} was really taking up some time. This was supposed to be a 15 minute deal, here. *sigh* I hurriedly searched for one final dressing recipe for one last attempt at making what I desperately wanted to be on the kitchen table. I found a recipe. I was instantly unhappy with some of the measurements. I used it as a base and made up my own measurements. I whipped it all up. Taste test #3. Success!!!!

You will never know how happy I was to have a dressing that didn't taste like mustard or onions. Or both. Blech. {Now, I like both mustard and onions, but seriously, when you're looking for a sweet dressing, neither of those ingredients fit the bill.} My hubby came home to an upset baby and no dinner on the table, but his wifey was a happy one. :)





Sweet Poppy Seed Dressing
Adapted by Jessica Harwood

1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
5 Tbsp. white vinegar
2 1/2 tsp. poppy seeds
1 tsp grated onion {you want it as small as possible}
3/4 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup olive oil

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix the sugar and vinegar together until the sugar was dissolved. Add poppy seeds, onion, ground mustard and salt. Stir well. Slowly add oil. Cover and refrigerate. Serve over green salad with candied almonds, mandarin oranges and mozzarella cheese. Or try on a fruit salad.
Yum!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails