Monday, February 2, 2009

Food Substitutions & Other Ideas

FOOD SUBSTITUTION IDEAS:

Can substitute applesauce for oil in baking recipes. The best results is to use half oil and half applesauce.

Vanilla Joy shares a secret about baking with butter:

"I have a few little baking tricks I use that greatly improve the overall taste and “nutrition” of baked goods.

First of all, I typically use less sugar than the recipe calls for. I will usually use 2/3 - ¾ of the total amount, mostly when making cookies but also with sweet breads like banana or zucchini. If you like your cookies and breads really sweet, you might not like it my way, but I don’t like a cookie that has so much sugar that I can actually taste each granule.

So if you like things a little less sweet try using less sugar - don’t be afraid to experiment with your recipes.

I also only ever use half the butter a recipe calls for and never shortening. Shortening is an abomination, DON’T EVER EVER USE It!… Unless you’re making a pie crust. Then you have to use shortening. But otherwise, just use butter!

If a recipe calls for butter and shortening (usually the same amount is required, like ½ c. of each), I would use the full amount of butter and none of the shortening. If a recipe only calls for butter, I cut that measurement in half.

I have never been disappointed with the result. The taste is the same, just less greasy. I don’t like to have to wash my hands with soap and water just because I touched a cookie, so this second little trick suits me just fine. And it’s better for you!"



FLAX SEED:
from Kendra Seel

At Costco I found a product called "Cold milled flax seed". You can substitute this ground flax seed for oil, butter, and egg. It is a good back up for your food storage. I have made bread, waffles, pancakes and I can not tell a difference (I substituted for the butter or oil). I haven't sub'ed for eggs yet. I made the NM chocolate chip cookies today and sub'ed for the butter and it was a little more difficult. I ended up needing to add milk because they were dry. They tasted pretty good but they didn't taste like the NM cookies. I think next time I will try subbing for the egg or just trying out an easier cookie recipe. By the way on the outside of the container it will tell you how much to substitute for. Flax seed is also very good for you, it has a lot of omega 3 which is the health fat in fish and which is why fish is so good for you.
I'll be honest - I don't remember where I got this idea for substitution. I wish I could remember, but I honestly don't. But heck, if it works, use it!
I've received some questions about how substituting flax for butter or eggs is supposed to work. You can visit these sites for more in-depth information about this particular substitution if you are interested:
http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-cooking/vegan-baking-substitutions.php
http://www.sheknows.com/articles/806978.htm
This is found in SheKnows.com

How to substitute flax for butter and oil in recipes

Ground flax seed can be used to replace butter, margarine and other oils as well as eggs in many of your everyday dishes.

Fat: When baking, you can replace part of all of the fat, depending on the recipe. If you substitute flax for all of the fat, be sure to increase the liquid in the recipe by 75 percent as ground flax absorbs liquid. Be aware, too, that baked goods that include flax will brown more quickly – you may need to adjust cooking time or loosely cover baked goods with foil towards the end of the cooking time.

Substitute: 3 tablespoons ground flax seed for every 1 tablespoon butter, margarine or oil.

Eggs: For vegans or vegetarians who don’t eat eggs, ground flax is a suitable substitution in baked goods.

Substitute: 1 tablespoon ground flax plus 3 tablespoons of water for each egg. Let flax and water mixture sit for several minutes before adding to your recipe.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails